Taking the flavors of a fajita and turning it into a soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breasts (1 pound), thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, sliced
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until tender.
- Stir in chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in bell peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper, and flour. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in rice, green chilies, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer on medium low, stirring occasionally, until rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in black beans.
- Garnish with chips, cilantro, sour cream, and avocado.