My boys enjoy making homemade tortillas with me. It’s fun for them since they get to use their hands to mix and knead the dough. The texture is just like play-doh!
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 -2 cups warm water
- In a large bowl, mix together masa harnia and salt. Pour in the water and stir to combine.
- Using your hands, knead the dough for a minute in the bowl. The dough is ready when it is smooth and no longer sticky. It will feel like play-doh. If the dough is dry and crumbly, add water 1 tablespoon at a time. Or if the dough is too wet and sticky, add additional masa 1 tablespoon at a time. Allow dough to rest for 15 minutes.
- To make the tortillas, roll 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball.
- Line a tortilla press with wax paper. Place the ball in the center of the press between two pieces of wax paper. Flatten the dough to about 1/8” thick. Peel away the wax paper.
- Cook tortillas in a dry hot pan over medium-high heat until air bubbles form.
- Flip and cook both sides, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Wrap the warm tortillas in a clean towel, allowing the heat to steam and soften the them.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to the 3 days.