As my boys get older, their schedules are filling up with baseball and more baseball! But I still manage to wrangle them into the kitchen to bake cookies together. It’s a simple and fun food craft we can do as a family. Enjoy these sugar cookies with a zest of lemon!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
- Royal Icing
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- food dye (optional)
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter until smooth.
- Beat in sugar until the mixture is light and pale, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and yolk one at a time, beating until mixed.
- Beat in the lemon extract and zest.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture, mixing until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- If using the dough for cookie cut outs, flatten the dough into a disc, warp in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. If not using cookie cutters, shape the dough into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- The dough can be refrigerated up to 3 days and frozen up 2 months.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- For cookie cut outs, roll dough between two sheets of plastic wrap to desired thickness, about 1/4” thick.
- Remove top sheet of plastic wrap and cut out cookies. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- If dough becomes too soft and sticky while rolling and cutting out the cookies, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Continue cutting out cookies until all the dough has been used.
- If slicing dough, remove plastic wrap from the dough shaped as a log and slice 1/4” cookies rounds.
- Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake cookies for about 9 minutes until firm. Do not over bake, browning the edges.
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack. Dust with powdered sugar if not icing the cookies.
- Store cookies in an air tight container up to 1 week or in the freezer for 2 months.
- For the icing, using a mixer, whisk together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, water, and lemon extract until the icing loses its shine, about 7 minutes. The icing should be slightly stiff.
- Add 1/4 cup of the icing to a piping bag with a #3 tip.
- Pipe an outline, about 1/4” from the edge of the cookie, around each cookie.
- Allow icing to dry.
- Add a few drops of water to the remaining icing in the bowl until it has a liquid consistency.
- Add desired dye color.
- Pour icing into a squeeze bottle or a disposable pastry bag.
- Flood each cookie with icing. Use a toothpick to remove any air bubbles and to work the icing around the edges.
- Make sure not to over flood the cookie, allowing the icing to seep over the edges.
- Add sprinkles, if desired. Allow to dry completely.