The perfect soup to cozy up with on a cold, crisp day.
Mexican Chicken and Lime Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in onions, celery, and jalapenos. Sauté until tender.
- Add garlic. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add whole chicken breasts, chicken broth, tomatoes, oregano, and cumin. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for 45 minutes, periodically stirring.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove from pot and shred using two forks. Return to soup.
- Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cilantro. Garnish with avocado right before serving.