Skip to content
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 9 corn on the cobs, shucked and kernels cut off
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, grated plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cilantro chopped, divided
- Tajin for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter.
- Add corn kernels, onion, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until onions are softened and corn is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Remove 2 cups of corn mixture from the pot and set aside.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and cotija cheese.
- Using an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth.
- Stir in 1 cup of reserved corn mixture, lime juice, zest, and 2 tablespoons cilantro.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls.
- Spoon additional corn mixture on top and garnish with cilantro, cotija cheese, and Tajin for garnish.