Modern twist on scalloped potatoes.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, reserved
- 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 6 stems of thyme for garnish
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease muffin tins with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine minced garlic and shallots, cream, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, Gruyere cheese, salt, pepper, and thyme leaves. Set aside.
- Using a mandolin or knife, slice peeled potatoes into 1/8-inch thick rounds.
- Stack sliced potatoes into muffin tin cups, staying below the top of the tin.
- Spoon the cream mixture into each cup. Potatoes should be completely submerged in the cream. Make sure cream does not overflow outside of the muffin cup.
- Loosely cover pan with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese onto each stack of potatoes. Return to oven without foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender and cheese golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly. Using a butter knife, cut along the inside edges to loosen.
- Gently lift stacks out, garnish with a small stem of thyme. Serve immediately.
- Note. To make ahead, prepare recipe through steps 2-5....Tightly cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator up to 1 day.