Prepare this easy shrimp recipe as a delicious appetizer served on skewers or make it a simple weeknight dinner and serve it with corn tortillas!
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 dried ancho chili peppers, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place dried chilis in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Steep chilis in hot water until softened, about 20 minutes.
- Puree softened chilis and 1/2 cup of the steeping liquid in a blender until smooth, set aside.
- In a large fry pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add shrimp and cook for 90 seconds per side. The shrimp will turn pink when cooked.
- Remove cooked shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Return pan to the burner over medium heat. Deglaze pan with tequila.
- Stir in pureed chilis and lime juice.
- Add cooked shrimp. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes until heated through.
- Stir in butter until melted through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with warmed tortillas or rice.